Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Leominster Town Guide


Leominster is another market town on the Black and White Village Trail. Dating from the 7th century, its first recorded name is 'Llanllieni', the Welsh name meaning 'the church on the streams'. The area around Leominster has been the site of many battles; it was taken by the Welsh and then the Danes before being taken by Harold Godwinson for Edward the Confessor. In 1461 the decisive battle of the Wars of the Roses, the battle of Mortimer Cross took place a few miles from the town. Despite its turbulent past, Leominster prospered from the wool trade, owing to the superior quality of wool from its local Ryeland sheep.

Leominsterýs history can been seen thoughout the town, retaining its medieval and Tudor characteristics, narrow streets and timber framing. School Lane being a fine example. The townýs most distinctive building is the unique Grange Court, built in 1633 by John Abel, the Kingýs carpenter. Previously this Market House stood at the intersection of Broad, High and Burgess Streets and was used as a Butter market. This was until its removal in 1853 when it was sold at auction for a bargain price of ý95 and moved to its present site, where it was used as a private residence until 1939.
Grange Court Leominster


The Priory Church of Leominster was founded in 1123 , succeeding an earlier nunnery. All that remains of the monastic church are the two naves and the south aisle. The Church possesses several artefacts, one of which is a ducking stool, the last used in England in 1809. Present day Leominster has much to offer the visitor. It is a pleasant market town where on Fridays Corn Square is thronged with local people between the closely packed market stalls. Leominster is renowned for its abundance and variety of antique shops ranging from high quality antiques to cheerful bric-a-brac. Regular antique auctions are held at the Fine Art sales rooms off Ryelands Road.
Leominster Priory

Ducking Stool Leominster Priory

No comments:

Post a Comment